Considered the heart of Huron, the Old Plat was formally plotted in 1824. As Huron grew, neighborhoods were added to the west, east and south of town. Oklahoma’s earliest homes were built in the 1870s as the town moved south. Hungarians and Italians settled the Eastside neighborhood near Nickel Plate Beach in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Many of the houses built in Old Homestead and Chaska Beach in the 1920s and 1930s were cottages and later winterized. Beachwood Cove was developed in the 1960s and Eagle Crest in the 1990s. Elwood Heights, Forest Hills and Huron Heights were developed in response to the housing shortage after WW II.