Willow Grove was platted by William Bruns in 1934. Born in Germany in 1861 Bruns and his wife Rosa immigrated to the United States in 1879. They lived in the bungalow style house on the corner of Silvern Street and Cleveland Road. Bruns died in 1942.
The alley now known as Bruns Street and “the pipe” over the lagoon connected residents of Willow Grove to Rye Beach, which was also developed by Bruns. The lagoon between Woodside Avenue and Silvern Street was a popular ice skating spot.
Melvin “Dutch” Laub, who was the shop teacher at Huron High School from 1943 to 1968, built several houses in Willow Grove. He and a partner constructed the cottages during the summer months. During his tenure at Huron High School Mr. Laub introduced 11 man football and coached golf.