Irish immigrant and ship's carpenter William Hinde settled in Huron in 1833 and married another Irish immigrant, Ellen O'Beirne whose parents had a farm in Huron Township. Several years later the couple bought 150 acres on both sides of Boos Road. They built a house and barns in 1881 (which have since been destroyed by fire). The Hindes had nine children, one of whom, James, became a co-owner with Jacob Dauch of the Hinde and Dauch Paper Company in Sandusky.
In 1885 another son of William and Ellen also named William bought a farm from Joe Camp on Boos Road. It is on that land that William Hinde's son, another William, built Hinde Airport. Today the airport is operated by William's daughter, Elaine and her husband Joe Bores.